Higher Education Staff and Administration
Fostering accessible and welcoming learning and living environments involves everyone on campus. Research shows that we have a ways to go to improve the campus climate around disability. See our Campus Climate Research Brief and take our Two-Minute Training for more information and tips.chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://ici-s.umn.edu/files/h9Fy39M6hQ/nccsd_campus_climate_brief_-_final_pdf_with_tags2#:~:text=This%20research%20brief%20summarizes%20issues,members%20of%20the%20campus%20community.
All employees of a college or university are considered "agents" of the institution when it comes to working with students with disabilities. It's important how you respond to requests for accommodations. While your Disability Resources office is your primary resource, you should have some knowledge about disability laws and practices to assist students directly, and point them in the right direction.
We've collected this growing list of resources - many from your own professional organizations - to inform you, assess your current operations, and learn innovative approaches.
Contact us with additional resources that you'd like to share with your campus colleagues.
- Planning inclusive events
- Recommendations for addressing sexual assault and college students with disabilities
- Dining - Food Allergies
- Career Services resources - also check out our career information for students
- New Student Orientation
- Counseling-Mental Health
- Fire Safety
- Emergency Planning & Disabilities
- Balancing privacy, campus security, and privacy laws from AASCU
- Disability resources from the ARC for first-responders, security personnel, and police
- Information for pregnant students
Learning & Instruction
- Online Education - National Center on Disability and Access to Education
- Library Accessibility and advice for working with library patrons who have disabilities
- Our clearinghouse web page of information for faculty
Professional & Legal Resources
- NASPA - Disability Knowledge Community
- ACPA - Coalition for Disability
- NACADA - Academic Advisors
- ADA Coordinators NAADAC
- Facilities - US Access Board
- Service Animals
- NCCSD Technical Report - Disability Law for Higher Education
Resources for HR Staff, Supervisors and Employees
- EEOC - Disability and Employment
- Job Accommodation Network
- Event Planning
- A "Diversity and Inclusion Toolkit" for workplaces, from the Association of University Centers on Disability
- The US Department of Labor has a Return to Work webpage for people who have been on medical leaves
- The WAVE accessibility checker from WebAIM - you type in the URL and it automatically checks accessibility features for you.
- Web accessibility legal cases
Making Technology Accessible
- Higher Education Accessibility Online Resource Center from NFB
- Training Opportunities