Athletics and Disability
While the Invictus Games and the Paralympic Games are well-known around the world, there are many opportunities to participate in sports on the local level.
The links below give a sample of active programs in college and community. contact them if you'd like to start a sports organization on your own campus.
Follow the action @Paralympics @WeAreInvictus
Associations and Resources
- Disabled Sports USA - Provides adaptive sports opportunities for people with disabilities
- The University of Arizona's Adaptive Athletics program is the largest and most successful program of its kind in the country.
- The University of Illinois was one of the first to foster athletics for students with disabilities
- Bridge II Sports creates opportunities for youth and adults with physical disabilities to ‘Find The Player Within’ through the power of adapted sports.
- NCAA information about:
- eligibility for students with disabilities
- the use of medications and exemptions to rules for the treatment of disabilities
- mental health information for athletes
- tutoring that may be available to student-athletes; many athletics tutors have special training in working with students who have learning disabilities or ADHD
- disability specialist may be a part of your athletics department and your disability services office - be sure they know about each other so they can work together