Roles of Students, Faculty, Staff, and Disability Services
Who is responsible for different accommodations and services on campus? Where are the boundaries for different groups? Here's a quick summary of "who does what" on campuses. Please note the lists below include roles and responsibilities for the campus regarding students and employees with disabilities.
When the Student Has a Disability
- Information from the US Department of Education for college students with disabilities - about your roles and responsibilities in college for getting accommodations/adjustments
When the Faculty or Staff Member Has a Disability
- Most staff and faculty with disabilities arrange for accommodations from campus Human Resources or their departments. Student Disability Services may be called upon to assist with finding tools or technology.
- The Job Accommodation Network (JAN) is an authoritative resource for employers, HR, and employees on employment laws and accommodations.
- Read an article by Dave Fuecker and Wendy Harbour about UReturn services for employees with disabilities at the University of Minnesota , and the types of services and accommodations employees with disabilities may need (note that the link requires readers to pay for the article, but most campus libraries will offer free access).
- See a bibliography of resources about higher education instructors with disabilities