Maybe you're a student with a disability and your professor or advisor is not providing accommodations. Perhaps you're a faculty member who can't get help from disability services. Regardless of what happens, here are campus resources who may be able to help, and ideas for addressing problems. You don't have to do these in order - they're just listed to help you think about options. And if things aren't going well, remember to take care of yourself (see information about taking care of yourself on our page about personal issues).

Option 1: Talk to the Person Responsible

First step should always be to talk with the person who is causing problems. If this doesn't work, talk to the head of the department (if a faculty member is the problem), or the head of disability services (if disability services are the issue).

Option 2: Call for Reinforcements to Act as Allies or Mediators

Campuses are full of resources. Consider checking to see if any of the following people on your campus might be available or helpful.

  • Ombuds Office - an office designed to handle any complaints of students
  • The ADA/504 Compliance Officer or Coordinator - might work in disability services, but more often is in a separate office that oversees the whole campus
  • Your Dean or Academic Affairs officer - this is a person who wants students to do well and graduate, so they're likely to be highly motivated in solving problems as they arise
  • Human Resources - the campus experts on all things related to employment (although there is sometimes a different office for student employment or graduate student employment)
  • Chaplains - a highly under-utilized resource, since chaplains usually are well-connected to resources on and off campus, and they usually have a lot of training in conflict resolution
  • Counseling services - sometimes counseling services have personnel who can mediate disputes or conflicts between students, faculty members, or offices

Option 3: File a Complaint

  • Every campus is required to have grievance procedures in place for students; there's more information on our website about grievance policies and procedures
  • If the campus is not paying attention and you believe there is a violation of the law or your rights, contact the Office of Civil Rights ; know that they will insist on seeing evidence of the violation, and they will aim for mediation first

Option 4: Create the Change

Campus Activism Resources (for information purposes only)


The American Civil Liberties Union works to defend and preserve individual rights and liberties

  • Disability Rights in school, employment and everyday life
  • Students' Rights to free speech on campus (includes rights of specific students such as pregnant students, LGBT students, etc.)


FIRE works to address what they see as limitations of free speech on college campuses.